Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Singing to the Wall






Recently I helped my rapper friend Djon with an amazing song he was working on. I helped write the hook (the chorus) and sang that part. He wrote all the verses and rapped them. The music was sent to him by the grammy award winning, quite famous in the rap/r&b industry Track Kingz and it rocked! It's called "Jealous". Well, once we finally got it all finished, we sent the Track Kingz a copy to let them hear what we had done with their beat. They were highly impressed! SO impressed in fact, especially with MY voice, that they asked if they could send me another song for me to sing almost like an audition. If they liked what they heard there too, then they wanted me to go on TOUR with them: ten cities internationally!! UK, Germany, Japan to name a few!! Oh this would be a HUGH break!!



So Djon helped me and did the recording and coached me on singing for this new genre. (I have been singing in a country band for the past year and haven't really sung much r&b/pop.) We worked long hours and it took quite a while since the song they wanted was so intricate and took up 84 tracks in Cubase (the sound recording software program). The song is called "Grown Man".



Well, we finally finished the song, sent it off and waited.



It didn't take too long, a day or two, and Djon got a text from the Track Kingz saying they didn't like it. That's it. Not much more to go on. No real reason, guess they just changed their minds. pity.



Djon says ya gotta have a thick skin and let things like that roll off ya, cause things can change so quickly in this business. He knows. He had 2 or 3 songs placed in the new Rocky movie, but last minute, all were pulled except one, "Get Up." It's a great song! When you see the movie, pay attention for that song. That's my friend Djon!



So anyway, this big opportunity came and went and now here I am singing to a quiet wall, all the hype and illusions of audiences gone.



I will continue to sing and see what other chinks I can find in my wall to sing through and maybe someone on the other side will listen a little more closely. :]



2 comments:

Sara Walker said...

You don't need them anyway, I think you are more of a front or lead singer than a back up singer to a rapper. I mean do you really want to be another Fergy? Keep singing to the wall and know that I'll listen to you anyday if you want a more interactive audience than a wall. Love the blog! I linked you to my blog too. Love you sis. Sara

Sara Walker said...

OK, I found a really cute template for your blog that made me think of you. Go to: www.cutestblogontheblock.blogspot.com -It gives you easy instructions on how to change your template, and don't fell like ya have to use this one or anything, but the butterfly made me think of you!
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s65/huntsnlove/buttertflydust.jpg
Love you! Sara